The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course at DIVE WIMBLEDON
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor course is designed to hone your skills as a dive educator. This course will give you a thorough understanding of how to make best use of the PADI system of diver education to teach the sport you love and teach it well.
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) 2020 program is one of two distinct components of PADI's Instructor Development Course (IDC)—the core of PADI Instructor training. The first portion is the Assistant Instructor course followed by the Open Water Scuba Instructor program.
The OWSI program is a minimum of five days. It introduces you to the entire PADI System of diver education and concentrates on further developing your abilities as a professional dive educator.
During the course you will learn how to apply the PADI System of Education by presenting at least
- Two confined water teaching presentations
- Two knowledge development presentations
- One open water teaching presentations integrating two skills
You will also attend and participate in the following 14 curriculum presentations:
- Course Orientation
- Dive Industry Overview
- General Standards and Procedures
- The Role of Media and Prescriptive Teaching
- Legal Responsibility and Risk Management
- PADI Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver Course
- Adaptive Teaching
- The PADI Continuing Education Philosophy
- Business Principles for the Dive Instructor
- Adventures in Diving Program
- Specialty Diver Courses and Master Scuba Diver Program
- Rescue Diver Course
- Divemaster Course
- Diver Retention Programs
- How to Teach the RDP (Instructors from recreational diver training organisations other than PADI must complete.)
You will demonstrate competence at
- performing all 20 dive skills listed on the Skill Evaluation.
- performing a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 metres/yards using a mask, snorkel and fins.
During the course you will need to demonstrate competency in Dive theory by passing a five-part theory exam scoring 75% on each part .
The PADI Instructor Development Course crewpack includes all the materials needed to prepare for the Instructor Development Course. The 23-item pack includes:
- Instructor cue cards for PADI’s core courses (Open Water and Advanced, Rescue and Divemaster)
- Instructor Development Course Candidate Workbook and related reference materials,
- Lesson planning slates for confined and open water
- Quiz and exam booklets for the core courses
- Specialty Instructor Manual
- PADI Guide to Teaching
- Open Water Prescriptive Lesson Guides - CD-Rom and much more
You will also need the PADI IDC Elearning to complete the home study before your course
To qualify for training as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor you must:
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or a PADI Assistant Instructor. Alternatively be an instructor of good standing with another training organisation for at least six months (check with a PADI Course Director or Contact Us for qualifying credentials.)
- Be certified as an Emergency First Response Instructor
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be certified as a diver for at least six months
- Have 60 logged dives that include experience in night, deep and navigation diving to participate in the Instructor Development Course. You’ll need 100 logged dives to take the Instructor Exams
- Have proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months. The Emergency First Response course meets this requirement
- Be fit for diving and submit an HSE Dive Medical signed by an HSE dive doctor within the last 12 months
- 2 weekends or 4 weekends for AI plus OWSI
- 4 days or 7 days in a row
- Instructor Crew Pack required plus Elearning -These are the same materials used for the AI course so only required once
- We also offer a couple of great packages which includes the PADI Instructor Development Course (PADI IDC), EFRI course plus the Dive Against Debris Speciality Instructor rating for £1200 and pre course revision help. Excludes IDC crewpack and Elearning. Alternatively we offer the above package plus our popular PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) package and EFR Mental Health Awareness for £1800. This includes all the following Speciality Instructor ratings : Drysuit, Emergency Oxygen Provider, Enriched Air Nitrox, Deep and Wreck. Also included are 25 student certifications team teaching with an experienced Dive Wimbledon instructor. Excludes IDC Elearning and IDC Crewpack
- Theory : Dive Wimbledon, 22 Weir Road, Wimbledon, SW19 8UG
- Pool : Putney Leisure Centre
- Open Water : Wraysbury
After becoming an Open Water Scuba Instructor you will be qualified to conduct the entire range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba Diving up to Divemaster. You may also choose to acquire specialty instructor ratings in areas of interest such as Digital Underwater Photographer or Enriched Air Diver.
View the Instructor Examination (IE) Calendar for 2020 where you spend two days being accessed by staff from PADI.
Your Next Adventure:
You’ll want to continue your professional training by completing courses that will allow you to teach beyond the core courses. For example, Emergency Oxygen Provider Instructor, Emergency First Response Instructor and specialty instructor courses complement your Open Water Scuba Instructor rating and add to your professional portfolio.
No Courses Found